- To develop an acatech POSITION for strengthening and protecting the industrial location of Germany with a focus on the role of maintenance.
- To highlight the challenges and fields of action in the area of maintenance.
- To develop recommendations for action with regard to maintenance in the future.
- To improve the image of both maintenance and its visibility in politics and society.
Challenges – today and in future
- Suitably-qualified specialists – maintenance cannot be automated so experienced, creative personnel are essential.
- Efficient use of limited resources –only achievable when facilities are in good condition.
- Demographic change – companies have to retain their specialists for the long term.
- Increasing use of technology – in particular, smart maintenance requires comprehensive knowledge.
In conclusion, challenges facing business and society today require sustainable processes in education, production and maintenance.
acatech position paper
In a comprehensive recommendation for action, the acatech position paper describes the necessary research requirements to further develop maintenance as an essential part of protecting the industrial location of Germany.
Project idea/Project background
Industry 4.0 will increase the degree of networking and automation and will also increase the use of technology considerably.
Efficient use of limited resources is only achievable when facilities are reliable and in good condition.
Acute shortages of suitably educated specialists are imminent.
Objectives of the project:
Development of an acatech POSITION for strengthening and protecting the competitiveness of Germany as an industrial location.
Development of recommendations for action to achieve optimal interaction between maintenance and production and for future maintenance management.